On May 4-6 2014, the Water Research Centre (WRC) at Queen’s University hosted the first student organized Water Initiative for the Future (WatIF): Graduate Conference. This national multidisciplinary conference was designed to establish a culture of collaboration and communication at the early stages of students’ careers.
- Students left WatIF inspired and hopeful for the future of Canada’s water resources.
- Students gained confidence in themselves (e.g. in their capabilities as researchers, in their communication skills, in their ability to network, to present their research, etc.).
- Students left WatIF inspired to pursue water-related careers.
- Students were reminded how important their research was, and how their research could fit into the bigger picture of water concerns across Canada. This further motivated students in the completion of their research.
- Students gained a unique, interactive educational experience.
- Students further developed their communication skills through both oral presentation, poster presentation, networking among each other and with professionals and peer-to-peer learning, in a safe and encouraging environment.